At Mt. Hood Kiwanis Camp we change lives!
For over 84 years, MHKC has partnered with the U.S. Forest Service to provide individuals with disabilities an outstanding overnight recreational opportunity in the Mt. Hood National Forest. One of the largest programs of its kind in the U.S., each season MHKC offers a unique opportunity for more than 500 campers ages 11 and older (no upper age limit) to experience the outdoors in its fully accessible 22-acre campsite.
We focus on abilities, rather than disabilities
There are few places where children and adults with disabilities can spend an entire week focusing on their abilities, rather than their disabilities. MHKC is dedicated to the belief that all people regardless of race, economic status or physical/mental ability should experience the joy and personal growth that comes from the adventure of an overnight camp experience.
MHKC has provided more than 17,000 campers with the magic of camp. Thanks to this life-changing experience, our campers’ quality of life has improved, along with their personal growth in self-esteem, communications, social skills, sense of achievement and independence.
Mt. Hood Kiwanis Camp
Position: Camp Counselor
Class: DS-204 Working w/People w/Disability
- 2-week counselor experience working with children and adults with developmental disabilities.
- Provide 1:1 support as they navigate a life-changing camp experience
- Counts for 4 credits towards the Civic Engagement requirements.
- Amazing resume building opportunity.
- Learn how to team build, communicate, and problem solve with other counselors and staff.