Thank you for your interest in joining the CALC community!
Big Picture Information:
CALC, aka the Community Alternative Learning Center, is part of Forest Grove High School, but we have our own campus where we serve about 85 students who have struggled in the traditional high school setting for a variety of reasons. Many are not on track to graduate, and coming to CALC is a chance for them to join a positive community, redirect their education, and prepare for their future. More than 80% of our students are on free/reduced lunch, and more than 70% will be the first generation of their families to graduate from high school. We have students who are migrant, ELD (about 60% of our students are Latino), teen parents, in the foster care system, on probation, and experiencing homelessness.
We strive to build a community founded on equity that honors learning and the growth of the whole person. We focus on building positive relationships and helping them gain the academic, career and social skills they need to be successful learners at CALC and in the world beyond high school. We offer independently paced learning, a small and structured environment, and unique partnerships with organizations such as Clean Water Services and the OSU Extension Program to provide classes such as Outdoor Science and Photography.
Volunteers are an essential part of the CALC community! Many of our students have felt marginalized their entire lives, and they often comment on how very few people care about them. To have people make the effort to connect with them and work with them can make a huge difference in how they see themselves and their futures. We’d really appreciate your support. In particular, we are looking for volunteers in the following areas:
- One-on-one tutoring in key subject areas. This can happen at almost any point during the school day, so we can easily work around your schedule.
- Mentoring students for their senior projects, which involves providing guidance and support as students put together a meaningful and relevant experience that is the culmination of their senior year in English class.
- Leading a project you’re passionate about. For example, we have had Pacific volunteers lead slam poetry workshops and guitar classes. Let us know what your interests are, and we can see how we can integrate that into our school day.
- Participating in PE time and/or basketball games at lunch and/or after school.
- Student-teachers looking to do practicums.
- Students looking to do their practicum for social work/counseling/psychology etc.
Feel free to contact me via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 503.359.2413 ext. 8502
Jessica Pierce: Lead Teacher/Language Arts Teacher
- The school day begins at 8:30 and ends at 2:50 every day except for Wednesday (which begins at 9:30 and ends at 2:50). This year we will be able to provide CALC students with transportation home at 4:00, and we welcome volunteers at any point during the school day.
- We divide the students into three groups, and they have three class periods a day (math/science, social studies and language arts). They travel with an Instructional Aide, and both the aide and the teacher provide one on one support, small group work and occasional whole class direct instruction.
- If you would like to volunteer with us, you will need to complete a background check. Please see this link for more information: http://www.fgsd.k12.or.us/pages/ForestGroveSD/News/Background_Checks_Now_Required
Where is CALC located? 2701 TAYLOR WAY FOREST GROVE OR 97116. We are on the south side of town, and share a building with the bus barn. We are at the end of Taylor Way, past the Army National Guard and Parker Concrete. Click on this link for a map: http://mapq.st/1cOhUxn
How far from campus is that? 2.0 MILES
How can I get there? WALK, BIKE, LONGBOARD, CARPOOL WITH OTHER VOLUNTEERS OR TAKE THE FREE GROVELINK BUS from the west loop bus stop at Main Street and University Ave. We are slightly off the route but they will bring you all the way if you talk with them ahead of time. (See below)
OFF-ROUTE STOPS For Grove Link
We will deviate off of the route to pick you up or drop you off for one leg of your trip. Off-Route Stop requests should be called in at least one day in advance for better availability. For drop off requests, you ask the driver directly. We will do our best to accommodate same day requests when possible. To call in for a deviation, please call 503-226-0700 between 8am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday. Click on the link below for more Grove Link info:
What is CALC’s year long schedule? Go to http://www.fgsd.k12.or.us/pages/ForestGroveSD and click on Calendar at a Glance to find information about vacations, ½ days etc.