Do you love to read, or love libraries? You can volunteer at your local library to learn valuable skills over a 3-month period of service.
The Forest Grove City Library provides free information to residents; serves as a community center; offers programs to all ages, ranging from teaching adults computer literacy skills to after-school activities programs focused on arts and crafts; and partners with community organizations to offer cultural activities such as lectures, musical performances, and creative writing workshops. Volunteers at the Forest Grove City Library contribute to such programs and services in diverse ways, helping staff keep up with community demand for library materials, mending materials that would otherwise be unavailable, providing administrative support to library programs, freeing up staff time for professional services, and sometimes working directly with patrons.
Volunteers typically serve 2 -4 hours a week on a regular schedule, during Library open hours (Monday-Wednesday 10:00 am. – 8:00 p.m., Thursday – Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.).
Volunteer opportunities include pulling holds (finding items requested by patrons), assisting with the courier (checking in and sorting items delivered to the library for patrons who have requested them) , mending and cataloguing assistance, shelving, shelf-reading, and program assistance. Program assistance ranges from working with children in after-school activities programs to creating promotional materials to data entry. Availability of positions varies.
Specific job requirements vary depending on the volunteer position. The following are typical qualifications:
- Ability to read small print (for example, spine labels on books)
- Attention to detail and ability to follow directions
- Familiarity with alphabetizing and numerical order
- Ability to organize items accurately
- Ability to push book carts, lift, stretch, bend, and kneel, and be on your feet for 2 hours
- Ability to work semi-independently with staff support
- Arrive on time for your shift ; call ahead when unavailable
Benefits to volunteer:
- Learn new skills and receive valuable work experience
- Discover interesting books one wouldn’t have seen otherwise
- Contribute to the greater community by supporting library services
- Enjoy a fun, active team environment
You must be over 13 years of age, and must be able to participate for this 3-month time commitment. Apply now at http://www.fglibrary.plinkit.org/get-involved to get started! If you have questions about the volunteer program, please contact Kari Middleton at email@example.com or (503)-992-3302. Thanks for your interest!