The Center for Civic Engagement (CCE) and Center for Languages and International Collaboration (CLIC) seek a mature, responsible student to conduct outreach with local schools during spring semester in preparation for a new program.
The CCE and CLIC may be receiving a grant to start a new program in fall 2013 connecting Pacific students to local schools through language and culture presentations and other activities. We need to prepare for this program by conducting an initial round of outreach to schools to assess their needs and determine what is happening already. This project is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in education and/or foreign languages to network and learn about how local schools are providing enrichment activities for their students in the face of funding cuts to arts, culture, and extracurricular instruction.
– Research local after-school and language programs in the schools
– Identify contact people for each program/school
– Meet with program managers regarding program needs and opportunities
– Compile information in spreadsheet or database
– Excellent communication and organization skills
– Interest in education and/or foreign languages
– Ability to represent the university well at meetings with school personnel
– Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and/or database management ( a bonus, but not required)
This project is flexible but will require some work during typical school day hours, including face-to-face meetings and telephone conversations. The project will entail about 40 hours of work over the course of the semester.
Civic Engagement Credit
In order to earn civic engagement credit for this project, the student will need to complete the paperwork for CIV 110 and complete an additional paper or other assignment to connect this project to academic concepts. The student can meet with the director of the Center for Civic Engagement, Stephanie Stokamer, to learn more about the CIV 110 requirements and to develop an appropriate final project.
Please contact Stephanie Stokamer at firstname.lastname@example.org or x1571 if you are interested.