Advisor Position Description:
The ASPIRE program provides one-on-one advising to help students continue their educations beyond high school. Adult volunteers meet with assigned students to assist them with variety of activities such as academic preparation, scholarship search and application, career exploration, college choice, and college application. All volunteers are screened, including a criminal background check.
ASPIRE volunteers will not replace paid staff.
- Meet on a regular basis with 1-10 assigned students
- Assist students to define their goals and the activities they need help with and record these on the “Student Tracker” form
- Attend volunteer meetings and trainings (orientation, ASPIRE conference, financial aid, scholarship search, etc.)
- Become familiar with the ASPIRE curriculum materials, web site, and other web resources Follow ASPIRE guidelines, school policies and regulations regarding confidentiality, meeting times, safety, etc.
- Report any volunteer accident or incident to the site supervisor
- Participate in the program year end evaluation
- Desire and ability to work with teenage students
- Sensitivity to challenges faced by teenage students
- Interest in being trained in the college financial aid process
- Dependability and a strong sense of commitment
- Ability to maintain patient, non-judgmental attitude
Time Commitment: 2-4 hours per week for the school year
Training: The Oregon Student Assistance Commission (OSAC) staff and the site supervisor will provide training. OSAC will provide initial and ongoing training on guidelines, applying for financial aid and scholarships, college admissions and mentoring techniques. School staff will provide information on school policies and regulations, and current college access activities at the school.
• Training on how to successfully apply to college & obtain financial aid • Satisfaction of creating opportunities for more Oregonians to attend college and trade schools • Tort liability insurance coverage Organization or Program: Hillsboro High School/ASPIRE
Contact Name: Jen Keene