Placement Agency: Adelante Mujeres, a 501c3 nonprofit community-based organization in Forest Grove, OR.
Organizational Mission: The mission of Adelante Mujeres is the holistic education and empowerment of low-income Latina women and their families.
Program Placement: Adelante Agricultura (work will take place at La Esperanza Farm, an educational farm that utilizes organic growing practices).
Project Overview: Adelante Agricultura provides resource-limited, aspiring Latino immigrant farmers and farm workers with the training and skills necessary to farm using organic methods and to successfully market their products. Intern will assist with organic vegetable production of the Demonstration Plot (a plot of just under ¼ acre in size) at La Esperanza Farm as well as farm infrastructure projects. The purpose of the Demo Plot is to serve as an educational resource for La Esperanza Farmers of intensive farming methods and the production of lesser-known yet highly marketable vegetable varieties.
- Commitment to the mission of Adelante Mujeres and to organic agriculture.
- Minimum of one year of experience in gardening and/or farming (preferably organic).
- Highly self-motivated and willingness to work outside in all types of weather.
- Creativity and interest in experimenting with intensive organic farming techniques.
- Excellent communication skills as well as the ability and willingness to demonstrate farming methods to La Esperanza Farmers and others.
- Ablility to coordinate and supervise other volunteers in their work on the Demo Plot.
- Reliable transportation to and from La Esperanza Farm in Forest Grove.
- Preferred Qualifications: Basic construction and repair skills. Spanish-speaking ability and experience working with Latino families (not required).
Commitment: 8-12 hours per week from mid-late August 2012 to early December 2012. Work schedule is flexible though availability on Sunday afternoons/evenings is preferred; all work is performed outdoors.
1. Assist with production in the Demo Plot. This work will include starting seeds in the greenhouse, transplanting and direct seeding of vegetables, weeding and other maintenance, harvesting and produce washing, among other tasks.
2. Coordinate and supervise other volunteers in their work on the Demo Plot.
3. Maintain detailed planting and harvest records.
4. Assist staff with farm infrastructure and improvement projects such as basic construction, doing small repairs, mowing, etc.
Benefits to Intern: No monetary compensation will be provided by Adelante Mujeres for this internship but there are a variety of other benefits. The intern will gain valuable hands-on experience in all aspects of organic farm production. The intern will be able to take home a significant amount of produce for his/her own use.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and your resume to Anne Morse at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled; please apply early for best consideration.